Monday, June 27, 2011

What's Cooking?

When me and my husband were tired of the usual take out foods, I had prawns in mind for that night. Besides, I have not cooked a real dish in years so maybe this is the time I can impress everyone...especially my husband. So menu for that night was...Prawns con salsa Alavar. They say the cheapest prawns or seafoods in general can be found in Zamboanga, my hometown in the southern part of the Philippines. I also used the amazing Alavar sauce which is said to be made of coconut milk, crab roe and secret spices. My husband is not really fond of sea foods might be because it's pricey to have it on the menu during an ordinary day, I mean something you might want to have only during holidays. So here is the recipe and promise you it is just so simple. No need of magic wand or to be pro in the kitchen.

Here is my version of the Prawns con salsa Alavar.


• 1 kilo of fresh prawns (thaw if frozen)
• 500 grams of Alavar sauce, depends on how much you like but I like to make
more because it taste good on top of my rice and as a dipping sauce
• 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
• 1-1 1/2 inch of ginger, peeled and sliced
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• vegetable oil

-Wash the prawns and leave them in a colander to drain.
-In a large wok or kawali, heat the oil then combine garlic, onion and ginger. Saute until onion is translucent.
-Stir in the alavar sauce and simmer for a few minutes or if sauce has fully melted.
-Add the prawns, let them heat through.
-Remove from heat then serve with rice.

I highly recommend this recipe which I had last month. The large pieces of prawns were cooked to sweet perfection and doused in sinful sauce. And the rice was steamed just right, which added to the delightfulness of the dish.

3 comments:

  1. My wonderful wife is an amazing cook. The prawns were delicious. She treats me like a King and i could not be happier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time I heard of Alavar sauce. Nasa lata ba yan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anney... Alavar sauce nasa plastic pouch yan...usually frozen. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but please no Spam Comments and Personal Attacks. Thanks!